Thursday, 23 August 2012

Day One.

So this is it. The trip has officially started, and I don't think I've fully come to grips with the fact that I could potentially be travelling for a year or more. I feel really calm. Maybe I'm just a badass.

After arriving in Vancouver, my phone seemed to continually be trying to give me directions to E.Hastings street instead of the train station. For those unfamiliar with the area; it is pretty much ground zero for our wonderfully populous homeless community. It's like their rec centre. Available activities usually include some combination of needles, incoherent rambling, and hepatitis. Also, strange hats, sometimes made of fruit. I was briefly having visions of some ninja junkie injecting me with Heroin and skitching away with my stuff.

Eventually I made it to the train station, and went straight for the big line to start boarding. Looking around I started noticing everyone else in line seemed to have physical tickets in hand. There I was, following my instructions from the confirmation e-mail waiting to scan some barcode. Oh what's that? There's another line? Train leaves in 2 minutes you say? Here! Catch my bag? *POOF* (That was me disappearing in a cloud of smoke...) When I re-emerged from said smoke; ticket in hand, I was quickly herded out the door and onto the platform to board the train. Relieved to have made it this far free of a debilitating heroin addiction I sit down and relax. Hmm... no Wi-Fi. Ok then, let's music. Wait a second... where's my iPod? Oh that's right... it's in my main bag somewhere else in this 25 car train; probably buried by 900 others by now.

Awesome! It's only 30hrs right? How bad could it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment