Thursday, 23 August 2012

Day Two.

Remember when I said I could do this without music? I lied. We're now 20 hours or so into this thing, and it's starting to look like that scene from Trainspotting. Ok... maybe there aren't any dead babies crawling on the ceiling, but you get the idea. It's bad. Throw in a pinch of sleep depravation and general weariness from sitting in pretty much the same position for an entire day and you've got the whole picture.

This morning I went and camped out one of the good seats in the dome car. It's the one that's meant for sightseeing and taking pictures. I figured competition would be stiff once we started getting near the Rockies; and this being a train... I also figured it wouldn't be so fucking slow. (I swear I saw a guy on a horse and buggy pass us.) So... there I was. 9 hours early to start looking at some fucking mountains. Like I thought they were going to move or something. I'm the geological equivalent to an Apple fanboy I guess.

Being able to pass through the Rockies was one of the main reasons I wanted to take the train, so at that point I wasn't gonna give it up and miss out on getting some decent pictures. I ended up sitting with a nice couple from Southampton on their way to Jasper. Being British, they were extremely polite, and so, I was slightly worried they might give my seat away when I went to the washroom. Somehow they managed to stave off the hordes of marauding tourists long enough to make it back and snag some decent shots.

So... 4pm rolls around and we're about to head into Jasper for a 1 hour stop. I've now been up since about 6am having gone the whole night trying to contort my body into some kind of workable position. (I still haven't figured that out by the way.) Pretty sure I was just doing yoga.

So the train stops, and I can't feel my ass anymore and I figure I could use some fresh air. I take a little stroll down the main strip in search of food, only now my legs don't work so good, my hands are starting to shake and every single restaraunt is a tourist trap with expensive menus. Channelling my Canadian spirit I head around the corner and Immediately find a Tim Horton's. Instantly feeling better I head back towards the train... ready for Yoga Fest day 2.

Oh and 10 hours of mostly wheat. We musn't forget the wheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment